Living Foods is a newer business and a must-see for anyone living in or passing through Ala Kalanikaumaka St. in Koloa, Hawaii. Living Foods is a fresh market and restaurant cafe where folks can celebrate Ohana. Ohana means celebrating producers, artisans, farmers, and other Hawaiian Island suppliers. We loved that everything is about the customer experience. The whole family will love this one-stop-shop for groceries, delicious dining, or finding a special gift from their general store.
Living Foods lives up to its name because everything they sell and serve is found or grown locally. When we asked their friendly team what their mission was, they explained that supporting Living Foods helps them protect the community, the “AIna” and their unique way of life. Sharing is caring, and they want to share everything Living Foods has to offer you. It was absolutely wonderful experience to learn and embrace local.
You already know that Hawaii is colorful, cultural, and creative. Living Foods has taken the A out of Aloha and created a special place to spend some time enjoying a unique and truly enjoyable time. Shop for the freshest local upscale groceries and everyday healthy foods to fuel your body and have fun doing it! We felt the love, the peace, and calm in the casual café and restaurant. To give you an idea of what you’ll find, check Living Foods out on Instagram. Their photos are amazing and give you a peek at their luscious menu and drink options. We want to share some of our favorites with you, but trust us, everything on the menu is phenomenal. First, check out the drinks that are served between 12:00 pm and 9:00 pm daily.
A favorite is the Rhymes With Orange cocktail made with light rum, organic pineapple juice, fresh blood orange juice, creme of coconut, orange flower water, and nutmeg. You have to try the Fish Outta Water, with a perfect blend of vodka, house-made green garlic brine, and pickled sea bean. What! Pickled sea bean! That’s right…don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.
Other Living Foods cocktails made fresh to order include:
- Ma-Hey-Lows: Made with light rum, organic lemon juice creme of coconut, guava syrup, pressed organic pineapple juice, and orange flower water.
- Matcha Made in Heaven: A twist of fresh-pressed organic lime juice is combined with dry gin, kaffir lime simple syrup, and Matcha.
- Go Home Eugene: Attention Eugene and all tequila fans. This cocktail is for you. It’s made with tequila, peril, lilkoi, puree, fresh-pressed organic lime juice, house-made simple syrup, and smoked salt rim
Moving on to the draft beer and wine. Living Foods’ is just as fun to read as it is to sample. More than 10 beers with flavors to tickle your taste buds and 10 wine selections are at your fingertips. Did we mention sake? Oh yes, they have that too.
Living Foods appetizers, sandwiches, salads, and main dishes were so tempting. Take a look at all there is on the scrumptious menu created by culinary artists and foodies.
- Charcuterie Board: Delicious and unique selection of house-cured meats, fine cheeses local honey, and lavish crackers
- Chilled Oysters on a Half Shell: This intoxicating starter gets the taste buds turned on with oysters marinated in ginger mignonette, spicy cocktail sauce, and fresh lemon
- Ahi Poke: You can’t leave the islands without trying this local favorite prepared with crushed avocado and chips
- Garlic Chickpea Hummus: Fresh chickpeas, garlic, tahini, olive oil create a creamy delightful hummus. Served with locally grown veggies and warm baked bread.
- Cast Iron Hamakua Mushrooms: This selection is made in a red-hot cast-iron skillet giving the mushrooms, shaved garlic, and herb butter the perfect companion for freshly baked country-style bread.
If there’s room, or you decide to forgo the appetizers (we recommend you don’t, though) check out our top picks of Living Foods, Burgers Sandwiches, and More Menu:
- Smash Burger: Get ready for a taste bud thrill ride. They take Aakukui Beef, Aged Cheddar cheese, caramelized onion, KFF tomato, house-made pickles, lettuce, dijonaisse, and smash it between the most amazing sweet wheat bun.
- Turkey Sando: Turkey takes on a whole new look with this sandwich you’ll gobble down for sure…we did! House-cured turkey breast, their fresh bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, dijonaisse is tucked into fresh house-baked bread.
- Ahi Nori Wrap: Hey ginger fans. Try their crave-worthy ahi noir wrap. Ginger scallion chili crisp ahi, steamed rice, cucumber Namasu. Yum!
- Fresh Fish Puffy Tacos: This is a Hawaiian take on a all time favorite. What makes it special is the puffed corn tortillas that set the foundation for toasted cabbage, salsa Fresca, avocado, and crema.
- Daily Troll Caught Fish Daily Delivery: This is a special of the day and will excite any fresh fish lover. Served with scallion marinated black rice, OK King Farms Baby Boy Choy, Ginger-Shoyu Butter Sauce…scrumptious.
Looking for something on the lighter, but very filling side? Their farm-to-table salads might be just the thing for you. From the Provisions Salad featuring roasted chicken and romaine, tomatoes, onions, avocado, and feta, to the Kale, Beets, and Blue featuring OK King Farms Fresh Kale, charred beets, blue cheese, local citrus, and spiced macadamia nuts, you’re going to find it difficult to choose just one.
Living Foods is open daily and offers locally grown, produced, or ranched ingredients. They have a full menu, grocery, general store, and offer catering services.