There’s a reason vacationers travel to Hawaii. The sandy beaches, deep blue waters, massive volcanoes, and lush rainforests invite visitors worldwide to explore these natural wonders. And we can’t imagine a better way to see them than on a bicycle!
Bike Works Hawaii is your one-stop-shop for all things cycling. Aside from an impressive list of bikes to rent, they also offer repairs, rentals, and host events.
Bike Works is in Waikoloa with locations in Kona and Mauka. They have been in business for 30 years and are the technical support for Ironman races.
Their large showroom has more than bikes. Since they assist Ironman events, they carry accessories triathletes might need. Here’s some of what is in the store:
- Socks, cycling tops, and bottoms
- Nutrition and hydration supplements
What sets Bike Works apart from other shops in the arsenal of bikes. If you’re a serious cyclist who couldn’t bring your bike to Hawaii, Bike Works has a dream ride waiting for you. Here is a sampling:
- S-Works pro carbon road bike
- Cervelo TT/Triathlon road bike
- Specialized mountain bike
- Specialized gravel bike
If you’re a casual cyclist, don’t let the previous list get you discouraged or disinterested. Bike Works has a bike tailor-made for your style of riding. You may like:
- 7-speed cruisers
- 24-speed hybrids
- Electric bikes
Rental packages range from one-day to weekly deals. Make sure you read their “Items Included with Rental” list on their website. We won’t list everything but will highlight key points.
- Flat pedals are standard. Most renters prefer this pedal because you can wear street shoes. For those accustomed to clip-in pedals, you’ll need to bring your own or use theirs. The trouble with the latter option is that these are on a first-come, first-served basis.
- $5 A Day Protection Plan. This insurance covers damages under $100 like flat tires and broken water cages. Damages over $100 are half of the standard price.
- Floor pump rental. While every bike comes with a mini pump and patch kit, renting a floor pump for a week is worth the cost. Inflating tires with a mini pump is laborious and best suited to repairing a flat on the road.
- Deliveries. Bike Works will deliver the bike if you’re within a 15-mile radius. However, they’ll automatically add the $5 a day protection plan.
Also, be sure to read their “Rental Rules,” which is also online. Most of the information is standard for bike rental companies, but reviewing it never hurts.
Another perk of working with Bike Works is the Tuesday morning rides. They leave at 8 AM and follow a flat out-and-back road to Kua Bay. The round trip mileage is 30 miles, and a road bike is required.
Bike Works also rents touring bikes and has camping information on its website. Be sure to check out their favorite routes. One route puts you on the same coastline roads used by Ironman triathletes. For those seeking adventure, try climbing Mauna Loa. It’s 57.5 miles long and ascends 11, 552 feet. You can break this ride into two days by camping at Mauna Kea Recreational Area.
Whether you’re an avid cyclist looking to steal a KOM on Strava or want a fun family bike ride, Bike Works is the shop to visit. You’ll find that their service, bike fleet, and staff are the best on the Big Island.
Be sure to bring a rear blinking light for your rental. While it’s not mandatory, flashing lights alert drivers and keep you safe. If you didn’t pack one on your trip, you could purchase one at Bike Works.