The Big Island is full of natural breathtaking beauty, one-of-a-kind restaurants, and a multitude of amazing one-of-a-kind experiences. Add open-air shopping to this list and your Hawaii vacation bucket list may be complete, especially if you are looking for a creative gift or souvenir.
If you love the ocean, and you love to shop, then head over the Alii Garden Market Place. This must-see gem is conveniently located in Kailua-Kona, right across the street from the ocean. Look for the colorful signs located on Alii Drive that mark the entrance. Alii was voted the best open-air marketplace on the Big Island for three years in a row and was featured on HGTV’s, House Hunters! When you arrive you will instantly know why. The ocean views are incredible and will elevate your shopping adventure like only Hawaii can.
Let’s see the scene. You’ll be surrounded by palm trees swaying in the ocean breeze, lush foliage, and gorgeous tropical flowers while you stroll and shop. Everywhere you look is picture perfect and the product mix will awaken all of your senses. Enjoy original artwork, fragrant exotic flowers, fresh fruits, veggies, locally grown coffee, tropical apparel, handcrafted jewelry, and some of the most exquisite gifts in the world. There are more than 20 unique shops for you to explore. The mix is incredible so take your time and visit each and every shop so you won’t miss a thing! You can even visit Alii Spa Nails Salon where you can get a manicure or pedicure in the middle of a beautiful tropical garden. Talk about happy feet! Plus, if you ever wanted to learn how to hula dance, make pottery, or play the ukulele, Alii Garden Market Place has talented experts to give you a memorable lesson or two. Every shop offers a creative twist and something new:
- Jill’s Hot Stuff: Shop for trendy toe thongs and rings for your feet that make great souvenirs
- The Pearl Store: See the most beautiful black pearls and artistic koa wood products
- Oates Kona Coffee: Sample Kona coffee made from locally sourced beans right on the Big Island
- Diamond Boutique: See the most beautiful aloha wear and clothing of the South Pacific
- Happy Opu: Indulge with a Tasty and refreshing local style shave ice
- Ka’u Crafts: Explore a variety of Hawaiian handmade items, such as seeds and shells, Koa wood bowls and coconut cups
- Iron Man Coconut: Create and send a personalized coconut postcard to someone special back home
- Da Shave Ice Shack: Enjoy a refreshing Hawaiian shave Ice and homemade ice cream, smoothies, drinks and more
- Leisha at Big Island Pottery: Take a pottery lesson and make your own souvenir
- Mauka Melodies: Listen to live entertainment and take a ukulele or guitar lesson
- Ohana Casual Wear: Explore a colorful collection of quality of tropical designed shirts, hats, wraps, and other apparel
- Alohi Farm Outlet: Create a custom veggie box filled with the freshest seasonal produce, blended salts cooking kits and Island specialties.
Don’t worry about finding a place to eat. A small food court is conveniently located right in the market. Vendors offer shaved ice and other treats to keep you refreshed and energized for more shopping. Rib lovers should check out T.J.’s BBQ that Trip Advisor rated as the number one restaurant in Kona. Their barbeque ribs can’t be beaten. Or Swami’s Dosa Grill where you can get the most delicious vegetarian Indian cuisine on the Island. If you visit during whale season (between November and April), an interesting eatery, Whale of a Crêpe, is open and dishes up fresh desserts and crazy good crêpes full of sweet and savory fillings.
Alii Garden Market Place has plenty of free parking, bicycle parking, and is wheelchair accessible. Free WiFi is available to visitors. Please bring reusable shopping bags because plastic bags are banned on the Big Island.